Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall is Here!

Yesterday I was reading one of my favorite blogs, and I was reminded that fall is most definitely here. Even though I'm already missing summer, I am ready for fall. Just a few things I love about fall...
  • Crisp evenings
  • Bonfires
  • Combine rides during harvest
  • Football games
  • Sweatshirts, jeans and tennis shoes
  • Homemade apple cider
  • Hay rides
What are your favorite things about fall?

Yesterday was Johnny Appleseed day for Meredith's kindergarten class. They all brought a few apples, had taste tests, and then made applesauce. In talking with my mom, she informed me that you can make applesauce or apple butter in a crock pot. Who knew? I was so excited that I picked some apples off her apple tree and started some apple butter this morning.

My mom let me borrow the most awesome invention ever: an apple peeler, corer, and slicer all in one. What a difference that made in the preparation! It took me just under an hour from start to finish (and that even includes clean up time.)



Now the apples are cooking away in the crock pot, and I can hardly wait for some homemade apple butter tonight! I also can't wait for the yummy cinnamon apple smell that will await me as I come home from work this afternoon! Now I just need to make some homemade bread to go with the apple butter - OK, so I just need to go to the bakery to buy some homemade bread!

Happy Fall!

No comments: